Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Tuesday Tutorial - Journal Covers - Kirsten Sheridan

Good morning everyone, Kirsten here, I hope you had a nice weekend. For today's Tuesday Tutorial, I'd like to show you one of the journal covers I decorated for the Imagination Crafts' Hochanda shows over the Easter weekend................




I began by applying Structure Paste on to the front cover through the Hessian Flower stencil & when the paste was dry I used hot glue to attach all the random embellishments from my stash...............




I covered everything in a layer of Cafe Creme Rusty Patina, using various paintbrushes & stencil brushes to ensure everything was completely covered, then left the cover to dry overnight. The next day, all the flowers, which were a mix of fabric & paper, had hardened beautifully & the cover felt extremely textured, due to Structure Paste & the particles in the Rusty Patina. I could now begin applying wet media without the flowers disintegrating. 

I began by spraying with Brown Mixed Media Ink Spray first, then with Light Purple, using water & baby wipes to move the ink around.............




I decided I didn't like how that was looking, so I sprayed the entire cover liberally with water & wiped off most of the ink, then began again, this time with the Light Purple first.............




I dried gently with my heat tool for the first layer of colour, then left the subsequent layers to dry naturally. It took quite a while for me to be happy with how the cover was looking & quite a few sprays of both the Brown & the Light Purple ink sprays, but eventually I left it alone, ready for the next stage.............




I dry brushed Sand Starlights over the everything but the flowers. Those were randomly painted Island Blue Starlights & edged with Rich Gold Starlights...................




I replaced the Hessian Flower stencil over some areas & applied more Sand Starlights to highlight those areas even more. I added the bookplate, words & adhesive gem from my stash & the front cover was finished..........




I used the same techniques for the back cover, using the Flourish Fountain panel stencil as well as the Hessian Flower...............




Lots of Light Purple & Brown Mixed Media Ink Sprays..................




Finishing with Sand Starlights dry brushed on top as before. Sand is a great neutral that will add a gorgeous, subtle shimmer to any surface, it's rapidly become one of my favourite Starlights' colours..............



The completed back cover.....................




The completed front cover....................




Planner Journal A5      ST Hessian Flower    PS Flourish Fountain

Rusty Patina - Cafe Creme    Mix Media Spray Ink - Light PurpleMix Media Spray Ink - Dark Brown

Starlights - Island BlueStarlights - SandStarlights - Rich Gold


Thank you for visiting the Imagination Crafts' blog today. Sue & Lisa will be returning to Hochanda this coming Sunday, April 30 at 8pm for the launch of our new One Day Special. More information to come during the week. 

Until next time, happy crafting.

Kirsten

1 comment:

  1. How gorgeous is this Kirsten. Love the look. Rusty patina is such a great media to work with and it never lets you down. Hugs Rita xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the blog & taking the time to leave a comment, we read them all & appreciate every one.